Every now and again, I think about my decision to serve a mission. I want to serve a mission, but I've heard that if I meet "the one" and I have the option to either get married or serve a mission, that I should get married. "It's not really your calling to serve a mission. You're calling is to get married in the temple and raise a family. It's okay to go on a mission, but you have to choose, you need to get married." I've also heard," You won't ever regret serving a mission, but you might regret not going on one." So, at fifteen, still six years from making a final decision, I'm in a dilemma. But I expressed my uneasiness about this decision to a very close friend of mine, and what he told me helped me to make my final decision. After explaining both sides of what people have told me, this is what he told me: "Go on a mission. I want my wife to be a return missionary, because that tells me she has a firm testimony and knowledge of the scriptures, and faith. It tells me she's serious about the gospel, that it's the most important thing to her. And also, it gives me more time to finish school while she's on her mission. Kat, you definitely should go on a mission." If I never become anything else in life, I want to be a strong, faithful mother who would do anything and everything for her family. I have no doubt a mission would only help me progress and become that kind of mother. I now have an answer to my question. I want to prepare myself for that special day that I go to the temple, and I can't think of a better final-action than to serve an 18-month mission at 21 years old. I'm so grateful for my friend, and for the example he constantly sets for me. I will always be grateful for him, for helping me decide what to do. It just goes to show where good friends will lead you. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment